Main Forums PLAY TESTS & REVIEWS ROBOTECH: Attack on the SDF-1 Print & Play
This topic contains 66 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ehen4 ehen4 1 month ago.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
    • ghalgor Participant
      September 2, 2017 at 4:31 am #290

Hi, I would like to sign up for print and play.

• Daredevil22r Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 5:34 pm #291

Any updates on when this would be available to test?

• agepastadmin Keymaster
      September 21, 2017 at 5:49 pm #292

YES! I am currently formatting the final playtest version now. I am updating the cards for both graphics and content and also updating the rulebook. We should have the PnP out by the end of the month if not a bit sooner.

Be advised: There will be some broken rules, typos and artwork that needs to be adjusted but 99.9% of everything will be good to go. I will email everyone as soon as it’s ready!

Feel free to post and ask more questions of needed.

Thanks!
      Jeff

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of agepastadmin agepastadmin.
    • lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 6:37 pm #294

Could you elaborate a bit more on the “Broken” rules? Are they just rules that need some play testing? Or just need to be reworded?

Is the combat system a “Bucket of Dice” type resolution system or resolved with a CRT (Combat Results Table)

Do the cards drive the actions in the game? Or do the cards just give modifiers and the like?

Really looking forward to play testing this one…

• lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 6:44 pm #295

Had a couple more questions:

How many Scenarios will there be in the game?
      Are the scenarios based on actual Robotech episodes or are they generic?
      Is the game format such that we could easily create new player generated Scenarios?
      If the game is successful, could add ons be made in the future? Like a Mars battle board or some such.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of lonl123 lonl123.
    • lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 7:06 pm #297

Wow, sorry, full of questions this morning….

When we do play test, will we use this forum to post feedback? Or will you want feedback via emails and the like? When i test games, I like to send a lot of pictures to help explain stuff and I am not sure the forum handles photos and the like.

• lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 7:21 pm #298

OK, some more…been looking at some more of the graphics on the page for the game…so it looks like the combat system is dice based with kind of a results CRT….how is damage from the Zentradi determined?

Can heroes die during the game?
      Will the different types of mecha have different abilities in the game?

• agepastadmin Keymaster
      September 21, 2017 at 7:37 pm #299

Wow lots of questions. i’ll try to answer them in short order:

– We sometimes come across rules that don’t work well or were made for an older play test version that haven’t bene completely updated. We check fro these and try to find them but miss htem sometimes if they don’t come up during a play test. There might be a few of these in the PnP.
      – The combat system is resolved through drawing cards. The cards dictate how much damage is inflicted. The number of cards drawn is based on the Heroes being used and how the SDF-1 population is allocated.
      – Both Cards and Dice drive actions. We specifically term actions as things the heroes do and those are specifically driven through dice. Other game aspects are driven through cards.
      – The final game should have 3-4 scenarios. The PnP should have 2.
      – Yes. New player generated scenarios would be VERY easy to create. We want the community to make these, distrubute them and use them. We may even set a page on our website for them.
      – We plan to do expansions for the game.
      – I am not sur eon teh feedback mechanism right now. I think we are open to general forum communication and direct communication via email. We are pretyt responsive and appreciate any feedback that has some testing and thought behind it.
      – Zentraedi damage is driven through scenario cards and through the space ships. The space ships are driven through AI cards that describne how they move and deal damage.
      – Heroes get knocked out after too much damage and then they have to spend a turn in MIA. After they move to the hospital and can resume. If your hero goes to MIA you can replace it with another. There are 6 heroes. If 3 get knocked out the game ends in a loss.
      – There are Veritechs, Super Veritechs, and Destroids for the RDF. For Zentraedi there are Cruisers, Pods, and Flagships. Zentraedi vessels take different orders and therefore do different things… Cruiser can ram for instance. Veritech fly in space, but need to be launched. Destroids can fire into space but can deploy faster. Super Veritechs are more powerful. There isn’t much granularity between mecha, but the essence of each is described well we feel. The game is more about the heroes and the SDF-1 then the mecha.

I hope this helps!
      thanks,
      Jeff

• lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 7:53 pm #300

Thank You Sir for the excellent answers! Really looking forward to playing the game. 🙂

• lonl123 Participant
      September 21, 2017 at 8:18 pm #301

Jeff, during your plays of the game, how often does the player win and how often does the Zentradi (Game System) win?

For me personally, If I am playing a solo game I like it when the system really gives me a difficult challenge to win the game and more often than not I end up losing. Mostly as when you do beat games like that, the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment is very high. I know its a difficult juggling act to balance solo/coop games especially…as if you make it too hard a lot of people who play will get frustrated…and on the other side of the coin, if you make it too easy, people will lose interest after just a couple of plays.

• agepastadmin Keymaster
      September 22, 2017 at 2:00 am #302

We are finding that winning can be quite hard. We have levels of difficulty, and I am not sure the hardest can be won. Using normal rules we think winning is around 33%, however we can also adjust the Scenarios making some harder than others.

With this game winning has lots to do with teamwork and nuance. Winning it solo will take much longer, as you will have to track more options – ie. less brain power looking at solutions.

I agree with your assessment. It’s hard to get the win / loss ratio perfect. That is one reason for the PnP. We also are very open to new ideas that make the game better that do not change the entire framework.

• Mokman Participant
      September 27, 2017 at 10:04 pm #303

I was very impressed with what I saw of the game at Gen Con and have been a Robotech fan since day one. Please sign me up for the PnP.

• VanIsleGamer Participant
      October 6, 2017 at 7:40 pm #306

I posted before, but I’ll do it again! 🙂 Sign me up!

• TwoGunBob Participant
      October 6, 2017 at 8:11 pm #307

Count me in to give it a run through as well.

• princecorg Participant
      October 7, 2017 at 9:35 am #308

Sign me up! Would love to test this game.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Twitter

mailchi.mp/fc41ff7f479a/r… Are you ready for the challenge? Robotech Playtesting has begun! Visit the SMG Forums for more information.
That's fair. We wanted to show a snapshot about everything the game has to offer. It's all in there. Thanks! twitter.com/MaggiBot/statu…
Here's the final @Robotech #boardgame cover. We are happy with it, what do you guys think? @BoardGameGeektwitter.com/i/web/status/8…
If you are going to @Gen_Con you can stop by and check it out at our table. twitter.com/MaggiBot/statu…

Facebook